Sunday, December 11, 2011

Visit to the Make-A-Wish Office

This weekend I had the chance to visit the Make-A-Wish Foundation's Metro New York Chapter! I was honored to be able to speak with both the Vice President of Marketing & Community Relations, Gaby Sappington, and the Vice President of Development, Jay Patrick!

I went in to learn how to support and promote the Make-A-Wish Foundation even more, because it is my platform and something I am extremely passionate about. Gaby and Jay were both extremely enthusiastic about my plans for fundraising, which made me even more excited about continuing my planning.

I learned that Staten Island is the most underrepresented borough in the entire Metro New York Chapter! I didn't even realize how much they would appreciate my help in this aspect of their organization. After speaking with them, I felt that I really could make a huge difference in how this chapter is maintained!

Gaby and Jay offered to help me get in contact with Macy's so that I may make a future appearance at the Staten Island location to collect more "Believe" letters! They also said they would include me in their next E-Newsletter! I am also looking forward to possibly joining in their volunteer training sessions. This will allow me to become a true volunteer for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and learn how to properly represent them.

Gaby was delighted to be able to ask me about the pageant process. She told me that it was nice to see that I was "so down-to-earth" and a "normal girl," because that is never how pageant queens are portrayed! I assured her, though, the Miss America organization creates well-rounded and caring young women who truly just want to help others!

I am glad that I had the chance to speak with two wonderful people at the Metro New York Chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I am looking forward to working closely with them in the coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment