Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Official "Miss Staten Island Day"

On Thursday, I had the opportunity to visit my "home" and it truly was a magical homecoming. I was welcomed into my elementary school, P.S.8, with open arms and lots of smiles. They even changed the sign outside for me, and made me a banner! And there was a board of the newspaper article from when I became Miss Staten Island!!




The memories all rushed back to me as I entered the building. It seemed so much smaller than I had remembered it to be. I couldn't wait to speak to all of the children because the principal, Ms. Lisa Esposito, told me that they were looking forward to meeting me! However, I was given an agenda which planned out my entire day at the school, and the assemblies had to wait.

1. Morning Announcements
2. Assemblies
3. Student Lunchroom Visit
4. Luncheon with Miss Staten Island
5. Classroom Visits
6. Christmas Caroling!

#1. Morning Announcements: I never knew that the morning announcements were done by telephone! I was actually a little bit nervous to use the "new" system (well, new to me, anyway), but I was surrounded by a support system of students, including one of my Princesses from the pageant, Emma Vitale! She was able to spend the entire day with me, wearing her own crown!



#2. Assemblies: It was time to speak to the kids about myself, volunteering, the pageant, and the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Much like at Our Lady Queen of Peace, the kids were excited to hear how much I was like them. I first had an assembly with the younger grades (Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd). Then came the 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.

In each one, after I spoke, I opened up for questions. The younger students had A LOT of questions about how I deliver the letters to Santa! And one young boy simply stated, "I love you," after I called on him - it was too cute! The older grades, though, had quite interesting questions. I was very impressed! I was able to explain the pageant and Make-A-Wish Foundation to them, and even threw in some little things about myself. One little girl asked me, "Did you get nervous when you had to perform at the pageant?" "Of course!" I told her, "I've been dancing for over 15 years, and I still get nervous!" I even showed her my nervous dance - when I jump around before I go onstage. Another student asked me "How does it feel to be Miss Staten Island?" What a difficult question to answer!! "Indescribable," I told him.



A few of the 5th grade girls even put on a holiday performance for me! And when the final assembly ended, I got a wonderful surprise. Dominic LaForgia's sister, Natalie, and her friend presented me with flowers from the P.S.8 family!


#3. Student Lunchroom Visit: Well, this part was more eventful than I had anticipated. The moment I stepped foot into the lunchroom I was swarmed by children! In fact, their hugs nearly made me fall over! I told my dad, it sounded like the girls were screaming for Justin Beiber : ] I signed a lot of autographs (to say the least), including one on a supply case! Even my dad got in on the autographs!




#4. Luncheon With Miss Staten Island: Next came my lunch! I love to eat, so this was great. Eveline Melis, a dear family friend who happens to be a secretary at P.S.8, provided me, my father, my Aunt Jackie (a former teacher at the school), and other faculty members with some of my favorite foods! It was delicious!

#5. Classroom Visits: I didn't get to do many classroom visits because of everything else that was going on during the day, but was fun to give the children an extra opportunity to ask me questions. The Kindergarten room was, of course, my favorite!


#6. Christmas Caroling: This part of the day was a little bit scary for me, I guess you could say. I am by no means a singer and I always refuse to sing for anyone! However, when I was placed in the middle of these 5th graders, I had no choice - I had to face my fear. I'm proud to say I handled myself quite nicely!



I finished signing the last of the autographs, took a few pictures, and began to say my goodbyes. While I enjoyed every second of my day, I was ready for a good nap - I don't know how these kids do it!!


I look forward to future appearances at P.S.8. We have a few BIG plans for Spring & Summer 2012!! A special thank you to both the principal and assistant principal - I felt so welcome and it was honor to be a part of this special day, which will now officially be known as "Jamie Macchia, Miss Staten Island Day!"


No comments:

Post a Comment