Wednesday, December 28, 2011

St. Charles School

Hello, everyone! After a bit of a break, I'm back to writing my blog and keeping you updated on all of the exciting things I am doing across the Island. Last Tuesday, I wrapped up my official visits for Macy's Million Reasons to Believe campaign by visiting the St. Charles School in New Dorp.


On this "dark morning," I was welcomed by the 2nd and 3rd graders of the school. It would not have been possible, however, without the help of my Aunt Paula, whose three children have attended St. Charles since Pre-K. Eddie, Michael, and Catie were all very excited for my visit - especially Catie, who was able to be a princess for a day : ]



St. Charles has two "tracts," which means that there are only two classes in each grade! These students are together for their entire Pre-K to 8th grade schooling. It is something I have never seen before, but when I had the opportunity to interact with the children, I knew that the school was doing something right! These kids were all so well-spoken, kind, and respectful! Each time I walked into a classroom I was greeted with a collective, "Good morning, Miss Staten Island!" and every time I left I heard, "Thank you, Miss Staten Island!" They were absolutely adorable!


What was unique about this appearance was that the students wrote the letters while I was there. Because of this, I was able to see what they wrote to Santa, and even help with a few spelling questions : ] The typical letters to Santa were written by the majority of the students: "Dear Santa, I want an iPod, a camera, an iPad, a puppy, a baby doll..." However, I was delighted to see that I had really reached some of the kids. One girl wrote, "Dear Santa, Please help all of the poor and sick children and bring them money so they can go shopping at the mall." - (a kind thought from a 2nd grader!)


 I even got a surprise visit from one of my dance students (and this year my duo partner), Ally! She is a 7th grader at St. Charles and an extremely talented young lady : ]



It was wonderful to be able to complete my "holiday school appearances"with such wonderful and mature children. I finished off my morning by signing a few autographs (at the demands of Catie's classmates), and being sung a Christmas song!




Thank you to St. Charles School for having me, and to my Aunt Paula for putting this plan into action! To see how many letters were collected, and the final news on the Macy's Million Reasons to Believe campaign, see my next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment