Saturday, March 24, 2012

We Dance For Dreams

It is nearly impossible to put into words all of the hard work and emotions that were involved in planning my "We Dance For Dreams" benefit for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Metro New York and Western New York. If I tried to write down all of my feelings about the night, I wouldn't ever be able to stop. Instead, I will keep this blog post short and sweet.


My platform, "The Make-A-Wish Foundation: Kids For Wish Kids," is something that I am extremely passionate about and have been promoting for a long time. I began planning this benefit before I was even crowned Miss Staten Island. No matter what, I knew that this was an event I wanted to both develop and host.


I was joined by dance studios, singers, and performers from across the island. Before the show, I had an opportunity to sit down with them and speak about why we were all there. "This is not a competition," I told them, "we are here to join together and work towards a common goal." It was great to see them in the balcony, intermingling and getting to know one another. I am honored to be representing a borough with such incredible talent.


The performances were all a lot of fun and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves! We even had a special performance by Miss Brooklyn 2012, Maria DeSantis. Several other titleholders were in attendance, as well. It meant so much to me to have them all there in support. It proves once again that this organization is not a "competition," but a family.

Miss Brooklyn, Miss Richmond County, Miss Staten Island, Miss Staten Island's Outstanding Teen,
Miss Brooklyn's Outstanding Teen, Miss Richmond County's Outstanding Teen
I am overwhelmed with joy at the support that I received from this amazing borough. The event was nearly two weeks ago, now, and we still have donations pouring in! Because our "final count" keeps rising, I will announce that with this event we are now able to donate:
OVER $8,500!

The emails and messages I received after the event were heart-warming. They all meant so much to me. My platform involves not only raising money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, but also encouraging children to get involved in their communities and volunteering at a young age. So many of the messages said that both children and their families are now looking to create their own fundraisers! To have achieved both of my goals with one event feels great!

"We Dance For Dreams" was an enormous success, but it wouldn't have been possible without the help of my family, friends, sponsors, and the Miss Staten Island Organization. I would like to give a special thank you to my hair & makeup sponsor, Zoe Salon! They did a fabulous job - I felt amazing the entire night!


As I said to the audience, the night wasn't about me or the crown, it was about all of the amazing members of our community coming together for a greater cause. I couldn't be more proud. Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for everything you've done to help me make my wish a reality!








1 comment:

  1. OK...so I'm crying now...so proud to be your Mom Jay! I love you...xox...

    ReplyDelete