Saturday, March 24, 2012

PS 42: Round Table

I have been continuing my search for public schools to participate in the Kids For Wish Kids program with "Wish For Change." Public School 39 did an amazing job raising $1,165 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Metro New York and Western New York and I can't wait to see what the rest of Staten Island can do!

I was contacted by the judges' chair of the Miss Staten Island Organization. Christine Rizzo is a teacher at PS 42 in Eltingville. She informed me of a program she supervises in her school. It is known as the "Round Table." Fourth and fifth grade students apply to participate in the program. Those who are accepted have the opportunity to raise money with their own fundraisers and donate it to charities of their choosing. It is almost entirely student run and the decisions are all made by these kids.


I was invited to join one of the "Round Table" meetings. Christine informed me that I would be pitching my fundraisers, as well as the Make-A-Wish Foundation itself, to the students. I have to say, they really tested my knowledge of the organization. It was great practice for Miss New York! Every student was extremely bright and I was stunned by how well they were able to present themselves and their ideas.


The students of the "Round Table" were receptive to the idea of a "Wish For Change" fundraiser. I even learned about one boy whose sister is getting a wish granted in the upcoming months! I look forward to my future visits as the boys and girls of PS 42 begin their work with this organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment