Sunday, March 4, 2012

"Show Everyone Love" Anti-Bullying Campaign

On Sunday, February 26th, I had the privilege of being a special guest at the Just BeMe! organization's anti-bullying event. This was a part of their "Show Everyone Love" campaign.


Just BeMe! is a non-profit organization that is committed to helping young people empower themselves by being active in their community so that they can make a difference in the world. This event, which centered around anti-bullying, was used as a fundraiser so that the organization can purchase their own space. Belinda Mendez-Azzollini is the founder of Just BeMe! and was the host of this event. 




At the start of the fundraiser, I was asked to speak on the anti-bullying topic and kick-off the event. I told the guests about my own experiences with bullying in junior high school. I let them know how much it means to me that there are people like Belinda out there, working to remedy what has become a serious epidemic - especially in the school system. It's important for kids to know that there is help out there for them if they are being bullied and that they all have a bright future ahead. "Just look at me!" I told them.



I had so much fun at this event and met so many great people, coming together to help their community. There were vendors, a DJ company, basket and 50/50 raffles, and a Smoochie Cakes stand (which had delicious cupcakes). I have even been featured on the Smoochie Cakes Facebook page after buying a sample pack of 12 mini cupcakes. "Miss Staten Island is a fan of Smoochie Cakes!!!!!" it says.




In addition, there was a "confessional booth" - where guests could speak about their bullying experiences - workshops, and a wide variety of performances and demonstrations. This included a group of karate students from Island Martial Arts, Zumba instructors, singer/songwriter Frankie Presley, and "Lucki Gurlz"an all girls singing group.


I was interviewed by the Just BeMe! "TV young people" and spoke to them about my experiences, as well.





I wish the best of luck to Just BeMe!. Belinda and her husband, Robert, put so much hard work and dedication into all that they do. I know that this organization has done and will continue to do great things for the community and I look forward to working with them in the future! Thank you, again, for having me - I'm honored!



No comments:

Post a Comment