Sunday, July 29, 2012

Special Olympics: Hillside Swim Club

On Saturday, July 14th, I attended the Special Olympics at the Hillside Swim Club with my teen queen, Alexa Moley (Miss Richmond County’s Outstanding Teen). Since I had never attended this event before, I was excited and glad to take part in the day’s activities.
I arrived at the Hillside Swim Club just as the opening ceremonies were beginning. Alexa and I were introduced, supporters were thanked, politicians spoke to the crowd (Assemblyman Michael Cusick & Councilwoman Debi Rose), and the participants were encouraged to do the best they could. After an enthusiastic, “Let the games begin,” the Olympians found their places and prepared for the competitions.
Alexa and I were led to the awards table, our post for the day. We were told that we would be the ones awarding the medals to each contestant. There was even a pedestal for the Olympians to stand on when they won.
The races continuously took place. After each one, the swimmers joined me and Alexa and were lined up according to their placements. Their names were announced, and we presented them with their medals. It was wonderful to see the amount of pride each Olympian had in him or herself. Alexa We received a lot of wet hugs, handshakes and I even got a kiss on the hand! ; ]
I’m so happy that I had the chance to be a part of something truly remarkable. The swimmers were making times that I couldn’t even imagine! I am so proud of all of their hard work and dedication and it was an honor to present each of them with their awards. Thank you Dr. Bob Griswald & Darline Woodhouse, for inviting me and Alexa to participate!

No comments:

Post a Comment