Saturday, July 21, 2012

4th of July Parade


Though it is summer, I’m as busy as ever. As you may notice, it’s been a little difficult keeping up with the blogging, but I’m trying my best! Since we're approaching August, I think it’s time to write a blog about the 4th of July parade!

On a sunny (and hot) Wednesday, I joined my fellow queen, Stephanie Accardo (Miss Richmond County), on Travis Avenue for the annual 4th of July Parade. Just like with the other parades, this was a brand new experience for me.
Travis hosts one of the oldest consecutive Independence Day celebrations in the United States! Talk about an honor! It’s amazing to have been invited to be a part of something with such a rich history behind it. I could tell that this parade was very different from the others.
We arrived at the “waiting area,” a nearby parking lot, and mingled with the participants. It was quite a diverse group of people; from veterans, to pogo-stick acrobats! We posed for many pictures and one even wound up in the SI Advance!

It was a very hot day, with record high temperatures, and I took every chance I had to get into the shade. When the parade began, though, it was time to brave the sun. I hopped into my ride for the day, which was a little tricky to maneuver at first. I had never ridden in a parade with a car like this before. After getting situated, though, I was comfortable. My driver was a retired doctor, too, so I knew I was in good hands!
The parade route was quite intimate. The "fans" were very close to us and I was able to speak with them from the car! One girl even gave me and my driver bottles of water!
I was glad to have been able to participate in this parade and though I was left with a bit of a sunburn, I loved every second!

No comments:

Post a Comment