Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Gianna Nicole's Heart of Hope Foundation Gala

With the Miss New York blog done, I'm back on track with my postings! Now on to the past two week's events.

Last Thursday, June 28th, I had the honor of being a special guest at the gala for Gianna Nicole's Heart of Hope Foundation. I have to say thank you to Tammi D'Antoni for inviting me. She attended my benefit for the Make-A-Wish Foundation back in March and told me she would love to have me speak at the gala.
Gianna Nicole's Heart of Hope Foundation was created by Jennifer and Michael LaBarbera in memory of their daughter Gianna Nicole. This little girl lost her battle to leukemia on November 1, 2007, when she was only 4 years old. Though I can't say I know how her parents feel, I can relate to loss of someone close, especially from cancer.

"There are many organizations and charities that raise money to assist in the battle against pediatric cancer. There are very few, nationwide, that focus on the financial burdens directly for families battling pediatric cancer. The main goal for the majority of these organizations is aiding the financing of research to eventually find a cure, and that is extremely commendable and very much needed. It is OUR foundation's primary goal to help families currently in the battle against this severe disease directly." These are words directly from those who work with the foundation and I couldn't have said it better myself.
My mom and I walked into the El Caribe in Brooklyn, which was a beautiful venue. When we entered the room, it took my breath away! There were lights all over the ceiling, more baskets than I could count, and food covered the entire dance floor. When our waitress came over to ask for our dinner order, I couldn't believe we had more food to come! I already knew that this was going to be a benefit unlike any other I've ever been to.

After an introduction from Vinnie Medugno, I spoke to the nearly 440 guests. We enjoyed great food, baskets, beautiful tributes to Gianna, and performances by both Brenda K Starr & the Queen of Disco, France Joli. It was amazing to be listed as a special guest with these two women!
This event was more amazing than I can even describe. The love in the room was overwhelming and I know that a lot of money was raised to help families in need. Two families were even presented with checks during the night.
 It didn't hurt that I won 4 baskets - including a trip to Cancun, Mexico! Thank you, again, Tammi, for asking me to join you on this special night and to Jennifer and Michael LaBarbera, as well. Your courage is truly inspirational.

2 comments:

  1. It was wonderful having you there representing the foundation...I am a dear friend of Gianna's family. Gianna would have loved your crown and thought you were a princess!

    ReplyDelete