Friday, July 6, 2012

Miss New York Week!

Here it is: the Miss New York Week blog post. No matter how long I sit to write this, I will not be able to put into words exactly what this experience was like.
On Monday, June 11th,  I ventured to the Hampton Inn, right here on Staten Island. Though I live here, all 26 contestants stayed together in the hotel for the entire week. It was my pleasure to room with Miss Brooklyn, Maria DeSantis. She is not only a great friend, but also the former Miss Staten Island 2011, who crowned me in November!
After arriving at the hotel, we dropped off our bags in our rooms, and gathered in the lobby. There, I was immediately asked for my first interview of the week by NY1! I spoke with them and then was whisked away for our first set of group appearances.
I went into the Miss New York Pageant with some very definite goals: to enjoy my time, learn all I could, be myself, and make new friends. When I began the week, I honestly didn't feel like I would be able to handle this. I was terrified and I didn't know what I had gotten myself into. So many of these girls had already had experience with this pageant and I decided that I just had to give it everything I had in me.

We visited so many places, and did so many things, it would be impossible to write about it all. Here's a look into what our week was like, though:

Monday: Commons Cafe, Mayor's Office, 9/11 Memorial,
S.I. Ferry, Borough Hall, Dinner at Blue, Mr. New York
**Highlight of the day: Mr. Staten Island coming in 2nd Runner Up to Mr. New York!**
Tuesday: Anti-Bullying event at St. Adalbert School,
Eger Harbor House, rehearsals
**Highlight of the day: Joining my student group for an anti-bullying presentation onstage**

Wednesday: Rehearsals ALL DAY!
**Highlight of the day: Realizing how long I can last in high heels...**

Thursday: Miss New York interviews,
dress rehearsal, preliminary night #1
**Highlight of the day: Meeting the judges during interview AND performing my talent at night!**
Friday: Fort Hamilton, Coney Island,
dress rehearsal, preliminary night #2
**Highlight of the day: Taking the Miss New York stage in a swimsuit**
 

Saturday: Outstanding Teen Pageant, rehearsal, Miss New York!
**Highlight of the day: Watching my teens in the morning and making top 10 in Miss NY at night!**

For more pictures, visit my public figure page albums here & here.
For a highlight video from the pageant night, click here.

With early mornings and late nights, it was like a pageant boot camp! I was really surprised by the rehearsals - they were no joke! Practicing walking patterns for hours in high heels can really take it's toll on you, but if you pay attention, you can really learn a lot.

I wound up having more fun than I could've imagined and I learned a lot about myself. I realize, now, that I was crazy to think that I couldn't handle this. I can do whatever I put my mind to and I know that thanks to this experience.

I have to say that I am so happy for Mallory Hagan, our new Miss New York! She is a beautiful girl, inside and out, and I know that she will represent our state wonderfully at the Miss America pageant in January. Hard work pays off; She's been 1st runner up twice and has competed in the Miss America system since she was a young girl. Best of all, every contestant was ecstatic that Mallory had won! Just look at all of our faces in the background of this crowning moment:
For me, making the Top 10 was only a bonus to everything else I got out of this week. For my first time at a state pageant, I think I did pretty well! In fact, when they called my name, I was shocked! I left Miss New York more confident than ever and I look forward to hopefully going back next year. Look out...this girl wants to be Miss New York!!

No comments:

Post a Comment