Saturday, January 26, 2013

Farewell


I started this journey 4 years ago. That was when I first joined the Miss Staten Island Pageant at only 17 years old. I was determined to make my vision of becoming Miss Staten Island a reality. For the past year (and 2 months) I have been living out my dream. It is impossible to describe this experience in few words, but for the sake of saving space, I will have to try.

As Miss Staten Island, I have made over 100 appearances. As I’ve always said, “It’s not about the crown, it’s about what you do with it.” It was a blessing to have been chosen to represent this borough, and I took the opportunity to make a difference.

My platform, “The Make-A-Wish Foundation: Kids For Wish Kids,” was one of my main focuses this year. Through my various fundraisers including Macy’s Million Reasons to Believe, “Wish For Change” in the public schools, and my enormous “We Dance For Dreams” performance, I have not only raised money for the organization, but also encouraged kids to get involved in volunteering. I am incredibly proud to say that during my reign I have raised nearly $20,000 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation; a feat which I had never even imagined. In addition to this, I have raised $1,400 for Children’s Miracle Network and over $1,000 for other charities. In June, I was fortunate enough to place in the Top 10 at Miss New York. It was an honor to hear them call my name, and it is a moment I will never forget.

I can confidently say that I’ve done everything I could to make Staten Island proud this year, but I couldn’t have accomplished any of this without some very special people.

Mom – Like you said, “You can’t do this without the support of a mom behind you.”
Thank you for helping me through every step of my journey.
Dad – Thanks for keeping me calm (well, sort of) when things got really crazy.
A.J. – Thank you for putting up with your big sister hogging all of the attention.
Nick – Your never-ending support means more to me than you can ever imagine.
Friends and Family – All of your encouragement has made me who I am today.
Miss Staten Island Organization – Thank you for all that you do to make your
titleholders shining representations of Staten Island.
Staten Island Community – Thanks for welcoming me with open arms.

A special congratulations to all of the new titleholders!!

Miss Staten Island 2013: Amanda Lee Alicea
Miss Richmond County 2013: Alyssa DePaolis
Miss Staten Island's Outstanding Teen 2013: Ashley Marie Davis
Miss Richmond County's Outstanding Teen 2013: Gianna Roccaro

I'm sure that you will all do a wonderful job representing this borough. Take advantage of every opportunity and be the beautiful role models that you all are. Congratulations, once again!

I look forward to what will come, but I know that nothing will ever compare to being Miss Staten Island 2012. Thank you all for giving me what I’m sure will forever be one of the greatest years of my life. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment