Sunday, December 16, 2012

S.I. Tech Holiday Fair

On the first day of December, I kicked off the holiday season at Staten Island Technical High School's annual Holiday Fair. My mom, who is the PTA President, ran the entire event with the help of the PTA members. The fair was previously scheduled for right after the hurricane, but was then moved to December 1st. Luckily, many of the vendors were still able to attend. Some of the proceeds even went to help families of S.I. Tech who were affected by Hurricane Sandy.
As a Tech Alumna, it is always a pleasure to return for a visit. I was set at one of the vendor tables with my "Wish For Change" bucket, wish bands, and autograph cards. Since the guests were in the holiday spirit, I hoped that they would donate for my platform and they absolutely did.
After sitting at the table for a little while, though, I had to get up and shop - of course! There was jewelry, makeup, clothing, food, and anything else you could think of. I picked up a few great items and then made my way to the raffle baskets.
The baskets were all amazing and so well-put together! Great job, mom & co. ( : I always look forward to when they pick the winning tickets, but I had no idea that I would be the one picking them! It was even funnier when I picked out 3 of my family's four winning tickets. I promise, I didn't look!!
One of the highlights of the day was meeting Mrs. Stern, the mother of Miss Staten Island 1996, Samantha Stern. We had a wonderful conversation about the organization, her children, and what Sam is up to now! "You have such a bright future ahead of you...this organization does great things," she said. I couldn't agree with her more. The Miss Staten Island and Miss America Organizations do so much to help young women grow. It was a pleasure meeting you, Mrs. Stern!
I had a great day and even came home with a few new treasures and prizes : ] As usual, it was a lot of fun to return to S.I. Tech. Congratulations to the PTA on a successful event and happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment