Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Rescue Ball

Exactly two weeks ago, on 12/12/12, I was invited to join Guyon Rescue at their "Rescue Ball." This event benefited Guyon Rescue through World of Women, Inc. so that they could continue to provide assistance to the families of Staten Island affected by Hurricane Sandy. You can learn more about Guyon Rescue here. Carla Murino, who happened to design my first pageant swimsuit, invited me to join in this special night.
The benefit was put together rather quickly. I first heard about it on November 27th, only two weeks prior. That is why, when I entered the Excelsior Grand, I was completely shocked at how incredibly elaborate the event was! We were told that there were over 800 guests - the ballroom was completely packed.
From the moment I stepped foot into the venue, I spotted people that I knew - some who I haven't seen for years! Past teachers, friends from other events, and even my trainer, Jacki-Lyn, were in attendance. Jacki-Lyn was actually modeling swimwear for Carla later in the night!
Typically, I see the same groups of people at fundraisers on the island, but this one was different. With a cause so dear to our community, everyone came together to help. That's what I've really noticed since Hurricane Sandy. The people on Staten Island have continued to come out and support others when they need it the most. With a sometimes negative personification of Staten Island, this was a truly beautiful thing to see the kindness that I know exists here.
Right from the beginning, I was being called over for pictures. I met Frank Sorrentino (yes, he is the brother of "The Situation"). He was part of the event because of his fashion line, "4drobe." They sell the swimsuits that were going to be modeled in the fashion show later on.
I recently found myself on the website "Star Sightings," posing with Frank...pretty cool!
I was seated with my mother and some other great members of the community, including a member of the Mid-Island Rotary, John DeAmicis, and his family. We didn't spend much time in our seats, though. From performances, to a fashion show, to basket raffles, there was too much going on to stay seated!
I was also very excited when I saw Donny and Carolyn LaForgia. Their son, Dominic, is the reason why I work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation. It was great to see them and catch up. Their two daughters, Alyssa and Natalie, are growing up so fast! Natalie is has been taking dance lessons and is already preparing to be a pageant girl. At the end of the night, Donny and Carolyn wound up winning the 50/50 and I know it couldn't have gone to better people.

Everyone knows that the raffle baskets are my favorite part. I am usually very lucky with winning baskets. There were plenty of options, but with 800 guests, I didn't know if my luck would run out. I was very excited when I found out that I won the Dunkin' Donuts raffle! Now, with $75 in gift cards, I won't have to buy my own coffee for a while - and, boy, do I need my coffee.
The event was an amazing success. I am incredibly impressed with Guyon Rescue and everyone who helped to but this benefit together. I have no doubt that they raised enough money to help Staten Island out of this tough time. Thank you to everyone who came, supported, and donated, and thank to Carla for having me. We're in this together Staten Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment