Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Breast Cancer Walk

Back on October 21st, I witnessed one of the greatest outpourings of support this island has ever seen at the annual American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Walk. I've attended this walk year after year, but never has there been so many people there. It kind of makes you wonder, has the message gotten stronger, or do more people know someone affected by breast cancer?
I arrived at the walk and checked in at the registration tent with Alexa Moley, Miss Richmond County's Outstanding Teen. After that, it was off to mingle. The only problem was, you could barely see the sidewalk! There were pink balloons and swarms of people everywhere; it was amazing!
The DJs and MCs at E-Squared announced my "arrival" and I braved the crowd. There were many familiar faces and even some new ones, like Miss New York Pre-Teen from the Miss American Coed Pageant, Gabriella Caggiano.
Alexa and I had created our own team, "Crowns for the Cause," which raised nearly $500 for the American Cancer Society. Our entire team walked with crowns -- titleholders or not : ] I think my mom was very excited she finally got the crown she'd been asking for...
We took a lot of pictures and, then, it was finally time to start the walk. Because there were so many people, it was like one long continuous circle around Clove Lakes Park. I've never seen anything like it! Everyone had their own reasons for walking; most were posted on signs that they carried. Along the way, I spotted some of my sorority sisters from Alpha Omicron Pi. I love that they are involved in community service, too.
I had a great morning at the Breast Cancer Walk for the American Cancer Society. I hope that the event continues to grow so that breast cancer, and all cancers, will one day be a thing of the past. Thank you Staten Island for the amazing showing of support and to the supporters of "Crowns for the Cause," as well. It was incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment