Saturday, November 3, 2012

Hurricane Sandy


This past week, I had intended on catching up on the 7 blogs from October that I missed. However, Hurricane Sandy shook the Staten Island community this past weekend and, with such an enormous amount of devastation in my cherished borough, I can't write about past events just yet. Though I have been stranded in Florida for a week due to two cancelled flights, I am finally back in my hometown to help those who need it the most. I have decided that I will postpone my blog posts about the October appearances so that I may update everyone on the Staten Island clean up, what I will be doing to help and how you can help out, as well.

The destruction that hit Staten Island is incredible. After returning tonight, I am ready to jump right in and begin to volunteer tomorrow. Some families made it out of Hurricane Sandy with little to no damage. I ask these people to please keep in mind those who were not as lucky. There are so many ways to volunteer; time, money, supplies, etc. Tomorrow I will be at Island Sounds (3735 Victory Blvd.) collecting the most demanded items: cleaning supplies, medicines, warm clothing, toiletries, and anything else you are willing to donate.

Can't drive anywhere? Simply text the word redcross to 90999 to donate $10 through your mobile carrier. Charges will apply to your mobile phone bill next month. We can provide them with the necessary funds to assist Staten Island.

I'm proud of my friends and family who have stepped in for those who have nowhere else to turn. Great job, as well, to Alexa Moley - Miss Richmond County's Outstanding Teen, and Stephanie Accardo - Miss Richmond County for assisting.

Keep an eye on my Facebook page for more ways to get involved in helping our community: www.Facebook.com/MissStatenIsland2012. Thank you in advance. Together we can rebuild our borough.

No comments:

Post a Comment