Saturday, September 15, 2012

Korean War Veterans' Picnic

Two weeks ago, on Saturday, September 1st, I joined the Korean War Veterans of Staten Island for their annual Labor Day picnic. I had previously become acquainted with the group after I made appearance at the Cpl. Allan F. Kivlehan Park dedication. As I mentioned in a previous post, my grandfather was a Korean War Veteran, so these visits mean a lot to me.

The Labor Day Picnic at Nansen Park is a way for the Korean War Veterans of Staten Island to come together and celebrate. I spent the beautiful day connecting with the veterans and their families.  Many politicians were there, as well, to honor them. We had BBQ food provided by Nansen's and enjoyed one of the last days of summer.
Of all of the conversations I had that day, there is one statement that sticks in my mind. "You're such a genuine girl. I can tell just by looking at you." That's one thing I'm proud to be able to bring to this title - a genuine desire to help others. It was nice to receive this compliment, and from such honorable people. Thank you for allowing me to join in your celebration, once again, and thank you to the Korean War Veterans for all of their service!

No comments:

Post a Comment