Monday, June 25, 2012

Keynote Speaker at PS 8's Graduation

I'm going to blog about some more recent appearances before I begin my "Miss New York Week" blog. There's just too much to say about that experience!!

On June 21st, though, I had another amazing experience. If I had a bucket list, this most certainly would have been on it. PS 8, my very own elementary school, welcomed me as the keynote speaker at the 5th grade graduation! This is not something many people have the opportunity to experience, and to have been able to be a guest speaker at only 20 years old is an honor.
That's me up there! I'm in the picture with the students (on the cover) and in the program!

I arrived at IS 24 and the memories came rushing back to me. Not only did I graduate from PS 8 in IS 24, just as these students were, I also attended IS 24 for junior high school! Sure, the school looked a little different, but it was still the same.
It was extremely hot, with temperatures in the high 90s, but everyone was still in good spirits. The kids already knew who I was because I've made two appearances at the school this year. They were excited to see me and I was glad to see I made an impact on them. The teachers were happy to see me, as well, since most of them have watched me grow up!
I took my spot on the stage, and though it was definitely warm up there, I was ready to give my speech. I only hoped that I would be able to keep the attention of not only the families, but the 88 graduating 5th graders, too. The graduates entered, sang a song, and took their seats. One little girl, Kayla, gave the welcome speech. She was wonderful! Definitely a future Miss Staten Island, here.
It was finally my turn and I approached the podium. I delivered my speech and it went smoother than I could've imagined. The students listened intently the entire time! I spoke about my experiences with the Miss America Organization, what its done for me, and what I've learned that could help them in their futures. I felt great when it was over and I have faith that I delivered a message they can take with them forever. Faculty and parents even asked for a copy of my speech - signed!
During the rest of the ceremony, I enjoyed the PS 8 band, the graduates' songs, and presented students with awards. I even received my own award! It was entitled, "PS 8's Shining Stars!" I was so surprised to be receiving anything, I didn't even hear them call my name!

At the end of the ceremony I took pictures with some of the students and even signed some of the band members' sheet music! As I said before, it was an honor to be a part of this day. Thank you to the prinicpal, Ms. Esposito, and the assistant principal, Ms. Hotaling. I will never forget this!

No comments:

Post a Comment