Friday, June 8, 2012

I.S.49's Dress For Success & Career Day

Last Friday, June 1st, I was asked to join in I.S.49's Dress For Success & Career Day. While Miss Staten Island may not be a career, it is certainly a job. I also took the opportunity to speak to the students about how the Miss America Organization can help them continue their education to break into their dream career.
I was stationed at a table with my own name tag, surrounded by a wide variety of professionals. Students came into the gym in small groups and, naturally, many girls drifted toward the crown. Some girls weren't sure exactly what to ask, so I told them about myself, my journey, and the organization. Even the boys were interested in hearing what I had to say! I explained to them that it truly is a full time job and we receive scholarship money to further our education. We are all intelligent young women, looking to secure a bright future for ourselves.
The students seemed to be very responsive. It seemed that so many of them didn't know much about the Miss America Organization other than the idea that we are "pretty girls modeling in gowns." I was happy to be able to inform them of the benefits it can bring to young women. Maybe I inspired some future titleholders! It was a pleasure to meet the Parent Coordinator, Ms. Jusino, and the principal, Ms. Hill, as well. Thank you for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment