Sunday, June 3, 2012

Forest Avenue Memorial Day Parade

Monday, May 28th, was the annual Memorial Day Parade on Forest Avenue. Though it hit 90 degrees, and I have some sunburn lines to show it, the event was a ton of fun!

I rode down Forest Avenue followed by Stephanie Accardo, Miss Richmond County, and Alexa Moley, Miss Richmond County's Outstanding Teen. Without even realizing it, our cars were in color order - red, white and blue! I was lucky enough to have the same driver as in the Saint Patrick's Day Parade, Len Bosso. Thank you for dealing with heat for me, Len!

Once again, I saw many familiar faces in the crowd. As my year as Miss Staten Island continues, I meet more and more people of the community and it is always a pleasure to see them at events. It is the best feeling when they remember me from past appearances - especially children. "You came to my school!" or "Remember me?" I'd hear them shout. To see so many people at this parade proved that there still are people who understand the true meaning of Memorial Day.

The parade was not about us. It was about honoring the men and women who have fought and continue to fight for our freedoms. We truly are the "home of the brave." It is because of them that we can live the way we do and it was a priveldge to be able to stand side-by-side with these heroes during this celebration. We are so lucky to live where we do and have people willing to risk their lives to keep our land the way it is - sometimes we need a little reminder of that.



Thank you to all of the brave men and women currently oversees. We wish for your quick and safe return! I hope everyone enjoyed their Memorial Day as much as I enjoyed mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment