Saturday, May 5, 2012

"Staten Island Speaks Up" Walk

"Staten Island Speaks Up!" was an event that I could not wait to attend. It was definitely something special for me. This 2012 "Walk for Children with Apraxia of Speech" was run by Alyssa DePaolis, who is not only a dear friend of mine, but a former (and future) contestant of the Miss Staten Island Scholarship Pageant. This beautiful, intelligent, young woman has an amazing fire inside of her. She is determined to make all of her dreams realities and that is what I love to see on this island.



This was an event that I was sure to be a part of. How could I miss this? Though it rained, the spirits of those who attended were high. We danced, we walked, we joined in raffles, and we honored the children who are affected by speech disorders. I was joined by Alyssa, and two other titleholders - Maria DeSantis, Miss Brooklyn, and Alexa Moley, Miss Richmond County's Outstanding Teen.



In total, Alyssa raised over $25,000. I couldn't be more proud to call her my friend. All of the titleholders say it, but you really do meet some of your greatest friends in the Miss America system. It is these bright young women who make a difference every day and will make an even bigger difference in the future.


I'm amazed by you, Alyssa. You did a beautiful job with this event and I wish you so much luck as you continue on your journey for the title of Miss Staten Island. Congratulations!


1 comment:

  1. Jamie, after reading this, you literally brought tears to my eyes! I am so happy and proud to call you a dear friend of mine, and thrilled to be able to watch as you represent what it means to truly be Miss Staten Island and do so much within the community. With all my heart, I only wish that one day I can follow in your footsteps and carry that crown with the same pride, love, and hope for the future as you do each and every day. I am determined to make a difference in this world any way I know how, starting by SPEAKING UP for all of my shining stars affected by Childhood Apraxia of Speech. I have already done more than I could have every imagined. Win or lose, I have found a cause that I intend to spend my life and career as a speech therapist supporting. When I'm thru, Apraxia Kids won't be misunderstood and therefore, misdiagnosed, and many more children will be able to receive the therapy they so rightfully deserve in order to be able to stand up and speak their minds with confidence just as we do. Thank you for all of the love and support, Miss Staten Island 2012. <3

    ReplyDelete