Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Great Kills Memorial Day Parade

It was an honor to have been asked to take part in the Great Kills Memorial Day Parade on Saturday, May 19th. It was a spur of the moment offer and I was happy to accept!

This was my second parade as Miss Staten Island and, once again, it was a lot of fun. When I arrived, I was welcomed by many girl scout troops, schools, and even Santa Claus -- yes, Santa Claus in May! It was great to see many familiar faces. That is why this event was unique. It was right in my hometown, so I was able to share the day with old friends. I took as many pictures as I could before being swept away to my car to begin the parade.

Riding with me was my dad and brother. How lucky is he that he got to be in a parade? My mom walked alongside the car the whole way, taking pictures. Thanks, mom : ]

The attendees were all very kind and excited. Just as in the Saint Patrick's Day Parade, I received waves from little girls, congratulations and well wishes from adults, and some little boys even blew me kisses - too cute!

When the parade ended, I joined the crowd for a real Memorial Day celebration! There was a barbecue and many veterans who partipicated in a closing ceremony. I had the opportunity to meet them, as well as other members of the community. The children, and even their parents, were eager to take pictures!

It was definitely a lot of fun and when the morning was over, I was tired. I guess it's just all in a day's work! Thank you to Tom Gisonda for inviting me to be a part of this special day. Looking forward to the next Memorial Day Parade on May 28th!

No comments:

Post a Comment