Thursday, November 17, 2011

Women of Achievement

Today I had the opportunity to attend the Staten Island Advance's Women of Achievement luncheon and I have to say it was inspiring. The guest speaker was Dr. Oz - which was definitely cool! I tried to get a picture with him, but it was nearly impossible (which I should have expected); So, this is will just have to do:



As for the honorees, I can only hope to be half the woman they are when I grow up. Today we honored: Christina Chukalas (a girl scout leader for 40 years), Betty Harty (a long time boy scout leader), Elissa Montanti (volunteer for young victims from war-torn countries), Lynn A. Rogers (a protector of Staten Island cemeteries), and Elizabeth Rooney (an advocate for abandoned animals).

The honoree who left the greatest impression on me was certainly Elissa Montanti. Known as "the saint of Staten Island," this women has dedicated her life to helping others. Her mission is bring hope back into the lives of young victims from war-torn countries. Ms. Montanti brings children to America brings them to doctors who provide them with life-saving surgeries. Three of the children she had worked with were at the ceremony to show their appreciation. A young man, now 29 years old and a graduate of the College of Staten Island, told Ms. Montanti, "I love you." It was such a touching moment in the ceremony. She received a standing ovation, but I don't think any award was great enough to truly appreciate all that she has done. It is women like this that give me the determination to be more than I think I can. They were all simply amazing and beautiful representations of Staten Island.

I also got the chance to sit and speak with Miss New York 2011, Kaitlin Monte! I was seated with her as well as other guests from the Miss New York Organization. Talk about beautiful representations... this girl has it all! I honestly can't believe everything she has been doing to prepare for Miss America in January! I wish you the best of luck at the National pageant, Kaitlin! I know you will be fabulous.

So there you have it - another successful day! I look forward to whatever may come next : ]

No comments:

Post a Comment